PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying skills not a priority says Embry Riddle educator
Old 18th Oct 2013, 20:12
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So … what I’m getting from this thread so far is that most of the “older” heads here believe that “hand flying” can be productive – and at least some here actually practice that belief, even if somewhat secretively – and most believe that the reason it’s not seen more regularly is due to either management edict or check airmen “self-gratifying preferences” shoved onto the line guys.

It seems to me that if this “practice” can be beneficial, but someone, someplace has decided “not-on-my-airline/airplane,” things are likely not to change unless someone in a superior position (either in fact or in theory) to those who are currently “having it their own way,” clearly says what will be done and makes this “hand flying” exposure a regular occurrence. Again, it seems that this will occur only if one of 2 things take place; 1) similar thinking line pilots pool their resources and buy the airline from the current owner and make such a practice logical and expected; or 2) the regulator adds such a requirement to the regulations and thereby makes such a practice necessary to comply with the rules, if not logical and expected as well … and I’ll leave to your imagination which of those alternatives is the most logically to occur … at least, in my not-so-humble opinion.

And … as long as I’m expressing my opinions, the apparently clear outcome – should neither of the above alternatives be instituted – is the collective recognition we all will have as the number of apparently silly, stupid, forgetful, incompetent, or otherwise unprofessional accidents or incidents continues to climb. So … do we all continue to complain or do we do something about it? I know what I’m doing … and I’ll keep on doing it until this idiocy ceases or I can’t continue.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 18th Oct 2013 at 20:17.