PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Flying- does it really just become a "job" after some time?
Old 11th Mar 2002, 16:12
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good God, I didn't realise my depressive ramblings were still being researched. Should I feel ashamed or proud? . .. .It's an odd coincidence to join this conversation as I rarely read the wannabe's forum these day's.. .. .Well today's log book shows 17,330 hours stretching over 32 years. So how do I feel about it looking back?. .. .Well I still wish I'd put as much energy into getting rich as I put into climbing the 'wannabe' ladder. If I had I'd be up with the Bransons of this world. (Oh well, maybe not him then!). .. .Since I last entered into conversation on these pages I have converted to the 767 and started flying over the Atlantic. As I love the States and take most of my holiday's there this was the 'Final tick in the box' career wise for me.. .. .I have to say that I love the 767, I get an enormous kick out of arriving in the States or Carribean 9 hours after leaving the UK. The enormity of the task brings a lot more job satisfaction than going to the Greek Isles. But of course I have been running around Europe for 21 years now, and by the time I retire in 2013 I am sure that long haul will be boring as well. But the bottom line is that I still found something in flying that I enjoy. . .. .So what do I do for a hobby? Well I'm writing this waiting for a phone call from a flying school to confirm a recheck on the Chipmunk tomorrow as the winter has seen me out of currency. And why do I go fly a Chipmunk in my spare time? Because after all these years I am still in love with the freedom of flight, and the ability to see the world upside down, even if it still makes me sick and it's only once a month!. .. .Yeah, it still beats working for a living. My wife works in the Benefits agency dishing out unemployment benefit and she constantly tells me that I and most pilots have no comprehension of the real employment world. I'll take her word for it!. .. .As for working for the UK Jet operators, well don't get me started on that. Terms and conditions get worse by the year. More productivity is demanded by ever more unscrupulous boards of directors. Sadly our only protection is CAP 371, but even that is a toothless document because the CAA is now only concerned in seeing that airlines are regulating themselves according to JAA rules, rather than actually seeing what the airlines are up to. Thus at the moment in the UK we have no effective safety regulation any more, and don't the airlines know it!. .. .I know that many of you have the same dreams that I had at 15 and the same energy and drive to succeed at all costs. As to whether it is worth it? Only you can decide, and most that I have known would say financially? No, Socially? No, Personal achievement and satisfaction?.........No contest!