PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct Entry Pilots for KQ
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2013, 14:36
typhoon01uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya Conversion

Hi to all. I'm a rookie at this forum thing so bear with me.

Having searched high and low for info on the conversion process in our lovely country, I couldn't get any definitive advice so I bit the bullet and came over to do it and find out for myself. So for all those in a similar position, here's the process:

1. You must go to KCAA headquarters first. They'll look through your logbook and advise how many hours you have to do. Don't waste time visiting the schools coz they'll just send you back. You can also take the opportunity to book your exams (cash only) and save yourself a return trip.

2. Your licence must be current which they class as 6 hours PIC in the last 6 months ( medical must be current as well although they'll still make you get a Kenyan initial).

3. Most schools use the Seneca as their training twin. If you have hours on type, things are a lot easier for you. If like me, you qualified on something else, you must get a Student Pilot Licence (medical needed first), which takes 4 days to issue. You must then pass what they call a Technical Type Rating written exam specific to the Seneca after which you need 5 hours on type minimum and pass a check ride (general handling, stalls,etc) to get the type endorsed on your licence. If you're after a Multi IR, you need to do an initial IR test which can be combined with the Multi check ride & save a few bob.

4. Pass a Composite CPL written exam (100 questions on all subjects). If you trained in the UK like me, you'll recognize the style of questions as they are based on the JAA/EASA question bank. It's an expensive paper (ksh 16000) & it's my understanding most people pass on the 4th or 5th attempt so prepare well. Get on one of the online question banks and pay for a couple of months & just drill the questions. The exam is sat once a month on the 3rd Thursday so plan for that. You can get a special sitting but add 50% to the price of the exam for that. Gas Turbines is on the 2nd Friday & Perf A on the last Friday.

Once you get through all that, back to KCAA, put all your paperwork in and wait for the licence. Try to come at the beginning of the month and if you have a clear plan, you should get it done in a month. The horror stories are a little outdated if you ask me but you really have to apply yourself or it'll take forever. The written exams are computerised and the results are instant.

Hope this helps. If anyone needs any more info, pm me & I'll be happy to help where I can. Happy flying....

PS: KQ recruitment site does say the next shortlist is in January so hurry...