PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2013, 04:16
tdracer

Received 184 Likes on 89 Posts
Many years ago, I'd flown into Heathrow (after a horrible flight - a 6+ hour delay after pushback at JFK due to weather). I was in line to pick up my rental car when suddenly there was this horrendous noise - a "can't hear yourself think" noise. The strange part was no one else even seemed to notice . I turned and looked outside, and there was a Concord on it's takeoff run in full afterburner . It was the only time I was able to see a Concord moving under it's own power .

No idea what tail number it is, but there is a Concord at the Seattle Museum of Flight. First time I walked inside I was stunned at how small it was. The windows are tiny, and the seats would not appear out-of-place in economy on todays international flights. The cockpit is blocked off with clear Plexiglas, but looked decidedly primitive by todays (or even 1980's) standards. No doubt the cabin service was top notch, and there is definitely a luxury in making a six hour flight in two hours. But it's also not hard to understand why it wasn't a commercial success .

But I sure wish I'd had the opportunity to fly on one