PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low wing approach
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2013, 21:24
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Large aeroplanes

172510 raises an interesting point, but the wing-down technique is not only applicable to light aircraft, as some contributors above know well. (Tends not to be a good idea on a/c with more than one engine mounted on each wing.)

Works well in the Dak, although in my 500 hrs I never had the chance to master it. Worked very well for me on the Dart-Herald and the BAC 1-11.

In a crosswind, the approach IAS usually has an increment of some kind added, by virtue of the strength of the wind rather than its direction. Not sure if that would be enough to compensate for the sideslip. Perhaps others more knowledgable can comment?

On the DC10-30 doing an autoland in a light-to-moderate crosswind, the autopilot initiates its own sideslip (quite early, at 138'R, IIRC) and lines the nose up on the runway QDM (i.e., the figure the pilot has set on the old-fashioned OBS). There may have been an IAS increment for autolands, but I don't have my manuals to hand. (BTW, on a long a/c it's quite difficult to decrab so as to land on the centreline, because the cockpit has to be considerably upwind prior to decrab.)

The A320 AP doesn't do that, maintaining the crab angle until just before touchdown. On a manual landing, however, despite the FBW system, it is possible (but not recommended, IIRC) to use the wing-down technique. My compromise was to induce the sideslip just before the flare, which worked well in crosswinds up to the limit. Again, an increment is likely to have been added because of the strenth of the wind.