PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part61 Type/class IFR renewal
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2013, 21:18
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Slightly off subject, and looking for correction if I am wrong:

1. My understanding is that if you hold a current ATO, it will automatically become a Flight Examiner Rating (FER) after 4th December.
However, you will not be able to exercise the privileges of that rating until you have attended one of the CASA PDP briefings.

2. The IR is permanently valid and is attached to the licence, but to be used, requires a proficiency check/test to have been signed off by an examiner within the time frame - this could be 12 months or a continuous cyclic program if agreed between CASA and the operator. It is up to the pilot to maintain his/her 90 day recency to use the IR.

3. A proficiency check in an aircraft above 5700kg allows the IR to be used on that type only. This is the main difference, because as the legislation currently stands, you can do a CIR in a light twin and use it to fly a heavy jet - provided that you are current on that jet in other respects such as recency in take-off and landings.

4. A proficiency check on a twin turbo prop (for example) of 5700 kg or less would be good for any twin turboprop in that weight range. Ditto a piston twin. There may still be exceptions - such as the MU2 - which require a specific check.

5. A qualification on, say, a twin turboprop of 5700 kg or less will entitle a pilot who is current and has been familiarised with the systems etc to fly ANY similar sized aircraft e.g. a King Air pilot could read the POH and jump into a C441. Again with the exception of something less benign like the MU2. Insurance requirements aside, no check on type required if current in other respects (BFR as the minimum?). Much like the way it is in the USA.

I am using the term 'proficiency check' because as yet I don't know what they are going to call it if the IR itself is permanently valid.

Someone -anyone - who has done the PDP already, please correct the above.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 17th Oct 2013 at 21:59.