PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Milan-JFK assault
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2013, 15:00
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...EK 777 pilots are some of the lowest paid 777 pilots in the world..."

Really? Firstly, Emirates only operates widebody aircraft so there is no cutting of teeth on the shorthaul narrowbody. That's done with previous Airlines. You join, therefore, as a junior pilot earning x amount which is probably more than your previous Company or else you wouldn't be here. Granted, there are a lot more RJ drivers as are half of Ryanair. Result is a mixed bag for sure so I don't disagree that it's Utopia for some. However, as a ten year veteran in the Company, my take home is greater than a B777 training Captain in BA. I doubt many would take home 12,000 sterling each month and BA are hardly renowned as low payers! As for the 92 hours, some months are easy, some are harder. I may not get as many days off as my colleague in BA or have the union 'protection' but I have to live with that. 10-14 OFF a month works for me and trips are short so more quality time with family. I don't commute, my family and my life are here.

As for comparing Delta or AA, they would need $19,000 each month, net regardless of aircraft type? I wonder what percentage of pilots fly these widebodies and how long did they have to wait? As for the route structure, how many B777 operators offer the choice of 40min DOH to 16 hour SFO.

Finally, Stockholm syndrome? call it what you will. Is there a shame to feeling either some loyalty or pride to the Company we work for. Judging by the frequent posts, maybe there is. I'd hardly call myself sycophantic but at least I enjoy working here. I do a job that I always wanted to do as a kid, see new places almost every month, fly with pretty young girls ( ) meet new and mostly enthusiastic people, my own boss in a fantastic aircraft that's sometimes only weeks old with the best view and, I get paid each and every month by a financially strong Company. Am I not allowed to be happy with that?