PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part61 - military endorsements?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2013, 21:13
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say you're dreaming, in that it seems the only items mentioned in the Part 61 instrument are those currently covered, ie issue of licences (including exam and flight test for ATPL), instrument and instructor ratings, with similar requirements to what currently exists.

However, the Part 61 information explanatory booklet appears to leave things a bit more open, saying "if you're an ADF member and want a flight crew licence, rating or endorsement, you must satisfy CASA that you hold a qualification at least equivalent to the one being applied for." It goes on to say you may need to pass English proficiency and 'the aeronautical exams required.'

I imagine when this all settles down, there will be guidance material showing what is and isn't available to ADF people based on experience. In the meantime, however, I think it may be an opportunity to have our own input in order to ensure appropriate stuff can be granted on production of evidence of experience - for example, given that I've done and instructed heaps of rotary and fixed wing formation, plus form aeros on planks, I'd have thought I could be simply issued endorsements for same on my CASA licences rather than the current thing of having to find a civil instructor to write me up for them.

Lots of similar experiential issues will no doubt arise for many military aircrew, and it's all a bit too vague at the moment. To do my small part, I've recently emailed CASA asking for clarification of these same sorts of issues, but I'd imagine I'm not high on the priority list for responses so am not holding my breath. However, I think it's fair to ask the question, and would encourage others in similar positions to punch some form of correspondence to them as well.

Seeing as the orders and interpretations of same are somewhat plastic at the moment, it'd be a good time make some input for what it's worth.