PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2013, 05:27
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far other than the external pictures we have no real idea of the actual structural damage to the fuselage and the heat damage to the rest of the aircraft. We can guess from the number of containers, tents and scaffolding that this is going to be a major time consuming and costly repair.
I think this is going to be a complete repair with a fully airworthy aircraft the result and it will occur where it sits now.

Everyone is agonizing over the structural repair feasibility and some are speculating that the aircraft will be made ferryable and flown elsewhere.

If they were going to ferry the aircraft, you would see a much smaller operation. It doesn't have to be pretty to ferry an aircraft. A ferryable aircraft does not have to meet full airworthiness standards. It merely needs to be demonstrated to the applicable airworthiness authorities that it is capable of the ferry mission.

The interior of the aircraft is going to be stripped from the aircraft and processed in those tents or in an industrial setting as appropriate to the component. Actual fire damaged components are going to be scrapped and replaced, not overhauled. Same for interior furnishings that are not recoverable due to smoke damage. Part of the delay in starting the repairs had to be the process of gathering the known replacement items.

When the interior is out, and the exterior preparations made, the structural repair will commence. There will be sufficient design engineering staff on site to advise and coordinate on any unexpected discoveries.

I would be personally surprised if the structural repair lasts more than 60 days, and by ~90 days the aircraft should be back together and ready for flight, but I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the subject. I've only been involved in aviation for half a century.