PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal? Electronic weight and balance calculators (excel, etc)
Old 16th Oct 2013, 01:08
aphexau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legal? Electronic weight and balance calculators (excel, etc)

Hi all,

After doing a bit of light reading (CAR 235/CAO 20.7/100.7) I am still unsure whether creating a weight and balance calculator in an Excel spreadsheet is legal.

I have been using one such calculator which I created a few months back for my private flying in light, single engine aircraft. It uses the weights and moments published in each aircraft AFM and passenger/cargo weights using a set of scales. However, I have recently been told that if CASA 'caught' me using it I would get in trouble since it is not approved software.

My understanding of the law is that you simply need to prove you have calculated an accurate weight and balance, it doesn't specify that it has to be done by hand, or that electronic calculators need to be approved. I know operators of RPT aircraft require load/trim software which needs to be approved - but I cant find references to that either...If I am missing something, I would greatly appreciate some enlightenment.

Thanks

Last edited by aphexau; 16th Oct 2013 at 01:10.