PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The problem with saving fuel..
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2013, 14:08
Methersgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the days of my youth I was a Swire Prince.

In the days before that, when CX was The Plucky Little Airline That Could, Derek Stirling, who told me this story, was the gallant little airline's Chief Financial Officer.

He boarded a flight from Bangkok to Kai Tak. As was usually done, in those distant days, he handed his card to one of the cabin staff and in due course was asked if he would like to join his colleagues on the flight deck.

I do not recall if the aircraft was a Convair 880 or a B707 - he did tell me. Professional pilots here will be able to identify the type from what follows.

Anyway, somewhere over Vietnam, he knocked on the cockpit door, said hello to the three men flying the plane, all of whom he knew, and settled into a jump seat.

Now, Derek was the sort of CFO who took an intelligent interest in the practical side of the business. His eyes took in, sucessively, the altimeter and the FE's console, where four red lights were showing.

"Please forgive a silly question", said he, "But is there a good reason why we appear to be above the service ceiling for this aircraft, and why are all the low oil pressure warning lights on?"

Three heads turned, and the chap in the left hand seat said "YOU should know, Derek!"

"Why?"

"Because YOU put in the Fuel Saving Bonus!"

Last edited by Methersgate; 15th Oct 2013 at 15:45.