PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deviation from the SID due to adverse weather
Old 15th Oct 2013, 10:30
SquawkStandby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You refer me to the second part of the text from Doc 4444 - which applies only if the first part is true.
The text contains two situations and the second one does not require the first to be true. The "and" conjunctive in the sentence: "when vectoring an IFR flight and when giving an IFR flight a direct routing which takes the aircraft off an ATS route..." should be read as "or", since they are mutually exclusive. It means that in both situations, the controller is responsible for terrain separation.

No, the bit of Doc 4444 quite clearly explains the times that ATC is responsible for issuing clearances and instructions that assure terrain clearance. In all other situations it is the pilot's responsibility.
That's precisely what we're talking about! And I think that this topic belongs to the first category (ATC responsibility).

What I did say was that the controller should know about the surrounding terrain.
Having some knowledge of the surrounding terrain does not allow me to descend an IFR flight below minima, even in cavok. Why would it be different during departure with adverse weather conditions?

The difference is that when you vector the aircraft, you are telling it where to go, if you authorise a direct track, you are effectively aware of the track it will follow - and the books say that you have to make sure that it is terrain safe. When you authorise a pilot to deviate from a route without knowing where it will go, i.e. the pilot is doing the navigating, then it's got to be up to the pilot to look after the terrain clearance.
I would be happy to have that difference written in the regulations: the debate would be over.

you are trying to apply a rule that, firstly, doesn't really apply in the situation you're talking about
This is precisely the point: I think this rule really applies to this -and other- situations, but because you are reading it literally, you say it doesn't. In any case, clarification is needed.

I don't know where you work (or where your example comes from)
Currently, I am a radar approach controller in Palma de Mallorca Terminal Area (LECP)

but think about an airport without SIDs and without approach radar control. There are thousands of take-offs every day from airports like that - how are they allowed to happen?
This is exactly one of the reasons to write this post: to have some insight of what other controllers think and how they act on this matter in their areas of responsibility. I also wanted to know what pilots think about this.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by SquawkStandby; 16th Oct 2013 at 16:51.