PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News media luvvies & war reporting
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2003, 20:25
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Is there an echo in here? Vizsla, no need to paraphrase everything I wrote. Most of us can follow a reply if you take care to phrase it sensibly. Sorry if I touched a raw nerve. You must be in the industry then.

I may not know much about CK and matt but I do know that when I see a news anchor linking all the stories from Kuwait City, I still can't figure out why he or she has to be at that location instead of in their regular studio.

With reference to "having to invent something", it's nice to have it confirmed by someone who appears to be in the industry that our cynicism is well founded!

In my past, when I was a soldier and saw real action, I remember one time when we took out a series of trenches and almost shot the journalists who had been 'attached' to the terrorists we were attacking. They were French and soiled themselves quite badly. Not surprising because we gave their positions a 10 minute, continuous artillery shower with 155mm HE before we went in to mop up. They were very lucky and sensibly cowered in the deepest bunker throughout the operation. At least they got to report what it was like on the receiving end of an anti terrorist operation.

We all know how sensible Press Officers and the MOD can be don't we? If they place a camera crew and a reporter transmitting 'LIVE' and give a commentary about what every bit of hardware is that is dangling off the Tornados as they taxi past on their way to a sortie, then I am sure that the Iraqi intelligence services are likely to use that information. They may not know for sure which location exactly is being reported from but they don't have to do too much sussing out. Together with with their own informers or electronic intelligence they have the ability to prepare their defences appropriately.

I know that there is some mileage in showing the size of the forces ready to be unleashed against the Iraqis but the detail that the reporters were going into on 'LIVE' transmissions about the armament on the Tornados did make me feel uncomfortable.

Of course, with all the security we as pilots go through 'just in case we are compromised' doesn't apply to some of the technicians in the news factories. I mean, no one could be holding hostage the family of someone who does know where the reports are being transmitted from, could they?

Finally, why would I get DVT or RSI because I have the TV on while I'm PPRuNeing?