PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with drunk passengers
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2013, 00:35
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came back from Denmark a few years ago with a VERY rowdy sports club that had won their fixture. Miserable flight for 85% of pax but no staff told them to shut up because they gave every indication of being capable of a lot more rowdiness.
Many years ago a CASA (Aus Civil Aviation Safety Authority) Examiner of Airmen was on my flight deck for a surveillance flight. During the turn around he wanted to "speak" with the cabin crew. Not knowing the guy, nor having experienced this previously, I sat in to observe.

One of the questions he asked the CC was how they'd deal with pax misbehaving with regards to alcohol. The CC rattled off all the wisdom of the day. He ended by suggesting they consider if required, having the Captain make a PA advising pax that a return to departure would be required if they didn't behave.

I had great pleasure a year or so later when faced with the very same problem, to email the Examiner to tell him the "solution" worked beautifully. Pax we're misbehaving and not following instructions on what was supposed to be a dry flight. The instant I advised that if "drinking alcohol didn't cease immediately I would have no alternative but to turn around and return to the mine site" all the booze was put away.

If WE accept the behaviour because we don't want to divert, or be late, or inconvenience the majority of pax, to some degree we tacitly endorse the bad bahaviour.