PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying skills not a priority says Embry Riddle educator
Old 14th Oct 2013, 18:15
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueBall
I don't want to be chastised by new-schooled, senior check airman, for having come off the A/P & A/T too soon at 4000' during a vectored ILS in VMC; that I should have waited until after intercept of localizer; that company SOP calls for maximum use of automation in all phases of flight.

As far as I'm concerned, (20K hrs), the training industry is going to the dogs with rabid automation.
I couldn’t agree with you more solidly … ... in fact, I much prefer to have pilots actually “hand-fly” their airplanes somewhat regularly (something like once a month), to include departures up to something above 15,000 feet and descent from approximately the same altitude, to include the arrival, traffic pattern (if appropriate), approach, and landing. I’m not necessarily of the opinion that a lot of value is found in “hand-flying” straight and level while at cruise, although a periodic hand-flown change in altitude might be worth the effort periodically as well.

However, you and I can agree or disagree and that would be the end of it. I am trying to provide some motivation for pilots – all over the globe – to take these issues to their regulatory authority and ask for some support in assuring that each pilot has, and has not lost, his/her ability to fly the airplane that they are flying. It sounds redundant, but sometimes redundancy is a good thing. If the individual regulatory authority doesn’t appear interested, I would whole heartedly recommend contacting IFALPA, ICAO, and the UK’s Royal Aeronautical Society to see what you, as an individual, can do to make your concerns and your desires known to someone who may be able to do something about it.