PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2013, 17:33
Danny42C

clicker,

Small world indeed ! I know they had a HQ in Purley Way. Croydon, but didn't know of your Aladdin's Cave in Victoria. Now you'll be able to help me with all the technical details, and generally keep me on the right track. Tell me, was the Smiths - Jaeger automatic clutch popular in the UK ? To my mind, it was one of the most deserving of ideas that fell by the wayside post-war. Peugeot had it on the 403 and 404, but then went over to full autobox on the 504 (IIRC).

Roote's cars developed the magnetic particle idea into a full auto, but I heard of one catastrophic failure on the autobahn, when some sort of short engaged all the gears in the box together, and the bits of casing, oil and cogwheels stretched a kilometer across Austria !

And congratulations on your well-merited triumph in the Halls of Justice ..D.

Geriaviator,

Good thing the Merlins didn't come with a Coffman starter (like the Griffons in the Spits). Otherwise you young devils would have been up, and away !...D.

Cheers to you both, Danny.

EDIT:

A day or two ago I came across somewhere on "Military Aircrew" a link to a 90- minute film starring Ray Milland, a sort of "Private's Progress" about Cranwell - a Columbia or a Movietone thing sponsored by A.M.

Can't find it again. Help !.....D.

Last edited by Danny42C; 14th Oct 2013 at 20:23. Reason: Add Text.