PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air for expats
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2013, 05:35
777AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Other Side....

I joined KAL in 2000 as a DEC on 777. The training was harsh and we'd all heard how bad it was. It was either 'roll with it' or go looking elsewhere. Many of us were determined to make it work, and most of us did.

We had to endure the endless useless training that the LCPs provided. I had experience on the airplane and knew that what they were trying to teach was nothing but drivel.

Having worked as an expat-contract pilot for a few years previous, one became a survivalist. Do the flying the way that the LCP wanted during training and then go fly safe for the rest of the year. For those of us who accepted the way things as presented, we were all successful.

In the end, word 'got around'. We treated the Co-pilots as real people and as a result, most of them were a joy to fly with. In fact, many of the guys would tell us how much they enjoyed working with us.

I'm not the only one who was fortunate. The only reason that I left was because of tax reasons, otherwise, I'd probably still be there. I was respected by those with whom I flew. There are still many guys from my cadré still working there. They are successful commanders.

Those who come from legacy carriers have found it difficult to cross over. Life as an expat contract pilot is different. There are no 'safety nets' to catch you. Its a lot of work to be a contract pilot. Everyday presents a new set of problems. Contract pilots are not liked by the 'locals' because we are seen as taking their job. Understandably so. It is no different anywhere in the world. Korea, Middle East or Asia. However; they do need the expertise.

Its how the contract pilot approaches the task at hand. Survive the training. Take that wire bound notebook and write the LCPs drivel. Tell him that he just informed you of some of the best information that you've ever been taught. Play to his ego and culture. Its the way that it is.

Get through the check ride. NEVER ask a question. If you do that...you're done! If you have to ask a question during a check its taken as 'you don't know'. Automatic failure.

Many of us guys had a good time there. I always measure a company's success not by its pilots but by its maintenance record. You will find that Korean Air's track record as being stellar. P & W, who supply the engines for all but the new 777s there have stated that Korean is 'the Gold Standard' when it comes to maintenance. They come to KAL and ask questions and get answers. The aircraft are in beautiful shape.

Just my side of the equation. Its all in the approach.

Happy flying.