PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grumman Trackers
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 23:03
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
An old family friend of ours was involved in getting them all to West Sale all those years ago. We oftern got phone calls on Sunday mornings to be down there in the afternoon for taxy and compass swing rides...I was only about 10 then.

He told us many stories, but from the information I can recall, they had 4 operating engines that were used to get the first couple down there. On about the 8th ferry one of the engines let go enroute and they continued on one. (Pilot was the OC of HMAS Albatross at the time) They then used only 2 engines to get the rest down there. It sounded like they all were having quite some fun doing it and all these old ex tracker pilots were coming out of the woodwork to have a go.

I worked for a guy a few years back who was very interested in buying them and converting them for airwork. It got very close to a purchase too. I never saw them myself, but I believe they are in pretty good condition. Having said that, they won't be cheap to get back in the air. As a previous poster mentioned....if I win OzLotto tomorrow night, I reckon I would consider a purchase. If I remember correctly the PT-6 conversion was priced at 1mil per engine. They did look at running them on the Cyclones for a while, but all the remaining engines are pretty much rooted. They used to take them regularly to 64 inch MAP on take off, that can't be good for an engine in the long term.

But hey...we can all dream a little