PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part61 Type/class IFR renewal
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 20:54
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My impression is that the changes are largely semantic.

The CIR will become a perpetual rating (like PIFR) but will require annual currency. So you'll still be doing an annual flight (my recollection from the briefing discussed annual not biennial) with someone. After attending a 2.5 hour briefing it is completely unclear to me if this will be a Flight Examiner (ATO) or instructor. Mates who are ATO's and did the 2-day CASA briefing don't seem to be much clearer.

The Multi rating will cover all types up to a weight limit that CASA haven't yet decided upon (How much time do they need?). But the bet is on 5700 kg. However, it is about 99% likely that insurance companies will require type specific check flights. So in effect type ratings will remain. Also, there is a legal requirement for the pilot to be competent in the aircraft type. The easiest way to satisfy this will be an endorsement type check flight with an instructor once again Flight Examiner vs Instructor is unclear.

So, day to day I don't think there will be much effective change. Just the paperwork & bureaucracy.

"I was to learn in later life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralisation."
Petronius Arbiter (c AD60)