PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air for expats
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 20:32
Geebz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
54fighting... why do you have to act like such a dick?

If you were my FO, I'd put you in your place. If I was your FO, I'd remind you how difficult a day it can be when your partner choses not to get along with you. IOW, you don't appear to be anyone enjoyable to fly with.

So the guy missed a few things in training, who doesn't? I spent 6 years in the training department as an examiner. Those types of items he mentioned are but mere de-brief items. Aviation is not perfect. We all make mistakes. Your job on the line is: 1) to identify the problem, 2) Rectify and resolve it, 3) Move on. As an examiner, I am interested whether the guy can do a solid v1 cut, follow SOPs, fly a good visual, and make command decisions. As a Captain, I am interested in FOs who speak up if and when either of us make a mistake so that we can resolve the issue and keep flying the jet as close to SOP as possible.

If you expect perfection, you will spend so much time micro-managing everything that you'll lose sight of the big picture. The result? Asiana-type accidents.

KA and other Asian airlines are known for their "make-work" programs in the cockpit that add to the minutia of the job. By creating such a busy-work environment, you force guys to tune out. Do you really think anyone is listening to a 5-10 minute "brief" about the approach and landing? It's called a "brief" for a reason. I fly primarily throughout Asia and it becomes painfully obvious what's happening in the cockpit when a Asian carrier gets on freq. I listened to a guy tie up HF for 10 minutes yesterday to take down the details of a sigmet. Are you kidding me? Couldn't he just have asked his dispatcher for that info over ACARS? He's already in flight, moving through the air at 600 mph. He has a Wx radar. Jotting down the finer points of the sigmet isn't going to change the outcome of his flight at that stage (he likely had the info in his flight papers before he left anyway).

KA has been been in a perpetual state of hiring for as long as I can remember. Their training deficiencies as an organization are well-documented here and on other boards. Cediazf took the time to come on here and warn other pilots of the continual training issues at KA. As a line pilot yourself, you should be thankful for that. Afterall, it serves to further slow the number of applicants to your airline, which thereby solidifies your pay and stature (supply vs demand... no supply of new recruits, insures demand for your services will continue indefinitely).

I know some pilots at KA are happy. I have a few buddies there that like it. But just the same, the training environment and the anti-expat stance by Korean Nationals is also well-known. Both they and instructor colleagues I know at KA have told me the same. So don't come on here and trash a guy who takes the time to give the group a detailed report of what's still going on.

I was hired by KA back in 2008 when I took a leave from my airline. I'm glad I didn't go after all I read and heard (on here and elsewhere). I instead went to fly for an Indian carrier. I don't think I could thrive in or tolerate an environment such as KA. Some of you can. Good for you. But don't be so harsh on those of us who call it like we see it. Sheesh.

Last edited by Geebz; 13th Oct 2013 at 20:49.