PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2003, 16:28
no sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P124

In general, I am afraid I am. The simple fact is that without a 'standard' of training then we naturally have a wide range of technical and operational knowledge. That is not to say that people can't fulfil their tasks in the airline they work for, of course not. But, in the absence of a minimum standard of training for the job the above is inevitable. Its why we have licensing and qualification boards, they set minimum standard of training.

The CAA/JAA say that ICAO 7192 or parts thereof, is the recommended standard of training. Each airline must establish what they need to do to ensure they meet their JAROPS responsibilities with respect to the training and competence of operational personnel. There is however, a problem there that is not recognised; by 'cherry picking' those parts of 7192 that suits you may leave large gaps in knowledge. It might be possible for example to exclude ETOPS planning, but I doubt you would want to leave out aircraft performance. If you include performance then you need to include the fundementals of flight etc., it not as simple as it sounds when you actually get down to it.

I am arguing for a common standard of training, the GCNS is not airline specific so has to cover all of the elements of 7192. As the course is not linked to a JAR license there is no need for the CAA/JAA to approve the course. However, the college is accredited to provide JAR pilot courses.

Meeting this standard is a long term goal and it will not be acheived overnight, but it is worth fighting for.