PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 16:54
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ciao Sillohed!

Great stuff!

In my case, entering auto-rotation only allowed the blades to flex down and chop off the tail boom resulting in a most serious problem.
Yes, I suppose that would be a serious problem. Am glad though that you survived to tell the tale!

I count a couple of ex-US Army instructors among my friends both great characters, with many interesting stories between them.

Something which may interest you is a wedding which took place in London on 13th June 1962. The wedding was between Charles de Laroque and Toni Robinson. Charles was an old Harrovian and Miss Robinson a BOAC flight attendant (air hostess in those days) and private pilot. They were married in St. Mary Abbots Church in Kensington but .. I don't suppose that will be of too much interest.

However, their reception was held at the Hurlingham Club and, when all was done .. they left the Club for Heathrow courtesy of a World Wide Bell 47 ..

Charles de Laroque and Toni Robinson at their wedding reception at the Hurlingham Club on 13th June 1962

A World Wide Bell 47 graces the reception in preparation to whisk the happy couple to 'Harry Heethers' (Heathrow) where they boarded an aircraft for Trinidad for their honeymoon

The bride and groom prepare to depart the Hurlingham Club

World Wide only purchased the 'Singing Bell' (G-ARIA) in October 1962 and .. the craft in these photos wears a different livery to that which can be seen in the photo of G-ARIA (on the previous page) while she was with World Wide. Also, this craft displays what appears to be the World Wide logo (on the floats) which looks to be a globe with wings.

Any ideas as to which craft this could be?

As discussed previously, it seems that many of World Wide's singles wore floats.