PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 10:46
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M
tdracer is spot on, we used to back in the 70s routinely swing the Vertical Stab over on B720 & B707 aircraft to get the aircraft into the corner of the hangar.
By the way, l have recently been at a conference held by Boeing on the B787 and someone asked within Boeing if they could info us what is going on with the a/c.
He was told Boeing is not allowed to comment, it is up to the operator to give details.
Guess it lies with the insurers, airline & Boeing to come up with a plan.
It is not Boeing's aircraft - they sold it. So decisions will be based on the Insurer and the owner Ethiopian, I would not be surprised if Honeywell is not being drawn in by a claim against their insurers due to the ELT being blamed. All this insurer to insurer negotiation takes an inordinate length of time. The only information Boeing could give is costs of various repair options and their expected outcomes.

I would suspect that Boeing would really like to have that fuselage barrel for strength testing by an independent assessor so they could set customer's minds at rest on the effect of an airborne fire (and perhaps quieten the peanut gallery). But it is not Boeing's decision.