PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't let facts get in the way.....
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 10:33
allthecoolnamesarego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let facts get in the way.....

For years now I have heard (and repeated) stories that are legendary in the Aviation community.

The thing about these stories, is that they often turn up with different names/places/years etc. and this got me thinking, 'Is there any PROOF to these stories. Which version is the 'real' one?'

Many years ago, my old RAAF CO told me how he was flying a C130 Hercules from Australia to India. He was on HF trying to get clearance into India's airspace. His request was going un-answered until he put on an accent and made another transmission.

Clearance was granted along with the comment from ATC "Aussie, when you land we are coming to the aircraft, and one of you had better be black!"

He finished the story with, "when they came to the cockpit and saw me, they all laughed as the Air trafficker said "you are black, just like me!"".

Since that time, I have heard the same story about a Qantas SO, a fighter pilot and one or two others.

Another classic is the story of a BA 747 running off the runway (somewhere) and after being asked by ATC "Speed bird, what are your intentions?" Replied, "I think I will retire to a small farm in Devon."

These and a thousand others are great yarns, but, does anyone have any confirmation, any facts or 'proof' to the varsity of these stories?

I though that my CO telling me (directly to my face) his story was proof enough, but hearing so many versions gives serious doubt to that (plus if his lips were moving....)

So, this is a long winded way of asking for stories, and if at all possible, being able to give the facts behind them. It would be fantastic to know, or, perhaps it might be a case of "why let the facts get in the way of a good story"