PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gear Up Landings
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 09:34
2high2fastagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As previous posters have pointed out, there are additional risks for renters who don't have a regular system and a close relationship with the aircraft, but I think there are also increased risks for us owners, particularly when we find ourselves in a non-standard approach, such as an unexpected offer of a long final. I had one such scare early on where I found that could couldn't slow the aircraft down on final. fortunately I picked up the problem more than 2 miles out. Since then I've found that a triple check system works. bumpffitch (beware the ipad spell corrector if you type that!) before arriving in the circuit, followed by a further red-blue-green-flap10 check downwind and a red-blue-green-flap40 on final seem to do it nicely for me. It gives me three chances with the wheels. Process protects as they say. I'm sure everyone will have a different system that works for them, but the important point is to have a system that protects. red-blue-green-flap40 on final is my last line of defence to catch the long final trap.