PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 08:52
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indonesia, Masalembo 1970

Indonesia, Masalembo 1970

As we continue working through Indonesia....................an article from Frank Chammings.

Bristow Base Jan 1970 to October 1970 Masalembo, Indonesia, an island between Java and Borneo.

Chief Pilot: Bill Farnell
Line Pilot: Daniel Pouron, replaced by Phil Barriball approx August 1970
Chief Engineer: Frank Chammings
Radio Engineer: Ian Black replaced by Ian Dobson
Line Engineers: Mike Austin, replaced by Don McQuaig and Clive Hughes.

Aircraft: WS55 Series 3, PK-HBM, in support of Union Carbide drilling for oil off east coast of Borneo in the Makassar Straits.

About twice a week, the aircraft took off from Masalembo for Surabaya where it picked up pax and freight from the Djakarta DC9, it then flew to Masalembo for refuelling and then to Pualu Laut, an island off the south-east corner of Borneo where we had set up a refuelling stop and then to the drilling ship run by Zapata. The trip from Masalembo and back took 7 ½ hours and was then the longest operational run for a single engine helicopter, probably in the world.

The refuelling stop at Pualu Laut was actually a hand pump with drums of Jet A-1, the drums were transported to the island by a workboat and were underslung to the island. On one occasion the helicopter shut down for lunch on land, Ian Dobson and I were on the MV Millentor a German crewed workboat. After eating, we waited for the helicopter to finish moving the drums, we could see it through the trees with the rotors not turning. After a while we realised that the crew were on the beach trying to attract our attention so we requested the captain to launch the lifeboat. So much for German efficiency, the lifeboat engine wouldn’t start and it took an age to get going, eventually at nightfall, we got the crew onboard with the flat batteries from the 55. The boat was short of rations so we only had a fried egg each for supper, Ian really suffered. The batteries were charged up overnight and we eventually got the aircraft started and we made straight back to Masalembo, leaving the fuel drums on the boat.

Every hole drilled was dry so the operation ended, we were getting fed up doing six weeks on and one week off anyway and having to go by a small ship from Surabaya to Masalembo everytime.

Bill Farnell was a character, he used to fly Dakotas in the war in Burma. At one operation before pilots wore uniforms, he joined the passengers in a Whirlwind and sat down, as if pressed for time he kept looking at his watch and saying if the pilot doesn’t hurry up, I’ll fly this myself. Eventually, he got out of the cabin and climbed into the cockpit and made remarks like “ I think this is the right switch” and started the engine, apparently only one passenger got out.

At Masalembo, before starting up, in front of the passengers, he asked me which direction he should take for Surabaya, so I pointed over the sea. We later learned that a senior BP geologist was on board.