PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grumman Trackers
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2013, 03:58
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
What a mighty product of the Grumman 'Ironworks'. It never let me down over several cruises in HMAS Melbourne. Pathetic to see them deteriorated like that, but as I can't afford to restore and run the equivalent of two T-28's and then some, I'll have to wait for that Powerball win.

I seem to remember that it took 4,000 lb of AVGAS, it had no internal start capability (apart from a torpedo bay battery mod), very high pressure tyres and maintenance-intensive constant-speed AC generators. No engine fire bottles.

The carrier circuit was flown at 300', trimmed out at its landing speed of 95 knots. There was a special grip in front of the Twin Otter-style throttles to stop the pilot pulling them back during the acceleration of the catapult shot. Landing one on the Melbourne at night, in a high sea state and no shore diversion could be described as 'intense'. The Landing Signals Officers (LSO's) did a fantastic job getting us on board safely in these conditions. Australian Trackers were flown single pilot, the co-pilot duties performed by the Tacco, a highly qualified Observer. A great posting for a kid just off Pilot's Course.

It had the capability of a P-3B and could be on task in minutes off the carrier instead of the Air Force's hours (and that was assuming that the RAAF wasn't having a 'sportie', not in the bar and it was a week day), and we often worked in pairs. Tracker sorties were flown round the clock during an exercise, each one up to six hours, some of it at low level, at night down to 300' on the radalt when conducting MAD trapping patterns.

It carried two homing torpedoes, rocket pods and depth charges, in addition to sonobuoy sensors ejected from the tubes in the rear of the engine nacelles. Formation and 20 degree rocketing on the range or splash target was a buzz. The sound of the two Cyclones at 56" of boost was something else.

Wahh...anyone know of a rich lady with a thing for ageing naval aviators??

Last edited by Captain Dart; 13th Oct 2013 at 06:24.