PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2013, 22:10
oxenos

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts
Recently finished " To the Ends of the Air" by G E Livock. Tells his story from joining the R.N.A.S from school in 1914 and continues through to the story of the Far East Flight, of which he was second in command.
The F.E.F. flew from the U.K. to Singapore, around Australia, up to the Philippines and Hong Kong, and back to Singapore. All this in 1927-28, with 4 Supermarine Southampton II's, and all to a pre-planned schedule.
On its arrival back at Singapore, the F.E.F became No. 205 Squadron, the first R.A.F. squadron in the Far East, with Livock as C.O. Unfortunately, the book makes only a brief reference to his time with 205.
In the late '60s in Singapore, the Squadron museum had a typed copy of his account of his time on 205 in detail. I believe he had visited the Squadron a few years earlier, and had got the Squadron to type up his manuscript so that he could offer it to a publisher. In return the squadron got to keep a copy. It was a greaT account, but over the years I have forgotten much of it.
I have been unable to trace this second book, if it ever got published. Anyone know of it? Alternatively, does anyone know what happened to the Squadron's copy?