View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2003, 14:50
flt_lt_w_mitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH dear, here we go again!

link

My post

"posted 22nd June 2002 18:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FORM TWO TEAMS!
RIGHT NOW! FORM UP IN TWO TEAMS! Supermarket trollies on the right, Nigels on the left.

This should get the keyboards clacking!

Recent BA Shorthaul 'incident', from BASIS:

Position: around 50' over the threshold of the intended runway of landing at xxx, good VMC

Cockpit situation: Handling pilot - both hands on control column to flare and land, iaw BA sops. Non handling pilot - hands on lap (or somewhere)

Event: EGPWS Hard terrain warning, due to totally erroneous 'map shift'

SOP: PULL UP and Go-AROUND

Crew reaction: SOP

I almost hesitate to say this, but I'm tending to agree a bit with 411A (damn, I said it).

Supermarket trollies - your challenge - a PA to explain to the pax how you saved their lives by avoiding hitting the hill on the runway at xxx

Nigels - ????

It would be NICE if repliers could announce which team they are playing for!

Walt"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I (hesitate!) to leap to the defence of the Nigels here, but I MUST slap 'maxrpm' for that totally 'out-of-order' comment on 'airmanship'. There ARE some Nigels with that quality, although it is not a 'pre-requisite for the job', as I believe Big Airways believe that 'Nasa Team Skills' overcome all known aviation hazards.

To follow 'maxrpm's query, it is quite probable that the same crew HAD done as you suggest with that result, as I am told by my 'informants' that the *'space cadets'* in charge STILL insist on a g/a even over the threshold of a runway, if map-shift and EGPWS warning occurs, with DIRE CAREER threatening responses if you do not do so.

* 'Space cadet' is the replacement for the 'hamster' - as fast as the production line can turn them out.*

I believe 'flywheel' must be closer to the situation than most and perhaps has some inside knowledge of common sense prevailing soon?

There are times when an imnmediate reaction to a warning is VITAL, there are times when the average intelligence pilot can assess the warning to be false. There need to be some 'SOPs', but surely, space cadets, if the crew KNOW where they are, are in good vmc, have discussed the potential map problem, and are keeping the flight path under constant review, can they not use some common sense?. Certainly, repeated go-rounds at INN with other traffic (yes, there are other operators, boys!) should be avoided unless........ Never mind the paperwork, terrified passengers, over-worked ATC etc.

Oh, and Land ASAP - shot yourself in the foot there, eh Gringo?