PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When did airlines cease doing training circuits?
Old 12th Oct 2013, 18:11
Airclues

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For most airlines it was in the mid 90's. To avoid base training (circuits) the airline, and specific fleet, as well as the simulator needs to be ZFT (Zero Flight Time) approved. The trainee must also have a minimum level of experience, and the instructor must have ZFT training.
I was involved in getting CAA ZFT approval for the BA 747 "classic" fleet in 1995. We had to be observed by CAA inspectors both on the sim and on the line. It was a steep leaning curve but eventually it worked well (although not so much fun for the trainers).
When I left BA in 2002 and went to work for a cargo airline, that airline did not have ZFT approval so once again I had the pleasure of bashing the circuit.
Even airlines such as BA will have to carry out base training if they recruit pilots without the minimum ZFT requirements (from memory....1500 hours??).
Base training was probably the most fun that a trainer could have, although it's expensive, and environmentally unfriendly.