PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STS-107, Chronicle Of A Disaster Foretold?
Old 19th Mar 2003, 13:54
PickyPerkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone who attended or heard the CAIB proceedings on March 17-18, 2003 comment on what was said? I heard some of it on the Internet using a 56k modem, so unfortunately none of the charts were readable and I also missed any comments about the earliest events on the timeline.

Two items I did hear:

(a) asymmetric wing roughness and its associated asymmetric heating were considered unlikely to have occurred because the directions of the yaw and roll were not characteristic of asymmetric turbulence induced by wing roughness.
(b) FAA radar had tracked what is thought to be debris all the way down to 1,000 ft. in the California/Nevada border area.
(c) The shock wave generated by the nose normally impacts the wing at about RCC Tile 9, so higher temperatures may tend to occur there.
(d) The feature seen projecting forward of the left wing in the USAF photograph taken in New Mexico (which I have previously referred to "ablated material") could possibly be caused by intersecting shock waves.

I am particularly interested in anything said about the earliest events on the timeline.

Cheers,

Last edited by PickyPerkins; 19th Mar 2003 at 20:53.