PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - minimums on the chart. what to choose?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2013, 04:34
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a commercial flight in the US you need RVR minimums to land on that runway. I have gone around at SFO and circled to the north runway and landed. behind one of my fellow pilots because prevailing visibility applies to the airport, RVR applies to the runway.

One day I had an FAA guy in the jumpseat and we were doing a localizer approach to MIA to 30. Tower told us the RVR for the crossing runway at touchdown was 1,000 ft but we still had legal landing minimums. I continued approach knowing we were legal but on the final descent from MDA encountered IFR conditions so went around.

Just stay legal and do a missed approach if necessary. We did. Follow the rules and we delayed our next approach for the cell to move through. Once in Panama City, Panama we held for weather and soon as it became above minimums tried to get us to do the approach. I said we will hold. 10 minutes later it was VFR and we were not landing in a quartering tailwind at minimums. I am not in my 20's any more. I loved a challenge then.