PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 little weeks of Sadness..... XV109 today
Old 11th Oct 2013, 20:33
vc10617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Gulf war1 Swartzkopf (spelling might be a problem!) singled out the VC10 K2 and K3's ( words to the effect of)for their operational success and reliability that allowed the air war to be carried out better than planned. There are guys on here that know what was actually said/written (I cant remember exactly). The VC10/101 got a slap on the back. I'm not sure that the KC10 could have done exactly what our 'ten did. Some of the stories the guys coming back told me. The KC10 couldn't have operated in the same way.
It was either 140 or 141 had to be pulled from the Gulf (just before the air war kicked off) for a running c class fuel leak. I got a call from a Sqn Ldr attached to Swartzkopf's command, asking me if I could turn it 'round in 4 days. What? I told him I could ,but with out seeing it etc. He told me the leak area and I ended up doing the longest temporary fuel leak ,never done before and doubt its been repeated because its an unbelievable task to stick that much before the sealant starts to "go off",on the outside of the lower surface Rib 22 down to Rib 8. They got it back in the time they wanted. It was a bit of a clue they were about to start and the VC10 K's were to leaned on. KC10? Wash your mouth out!

Last edited by vc10617; 11th Oct 2013 at 20:44.