PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 little weeks of Sadness..... XV109 today
Old 11th Oct 2013, 17:51
vascodegama

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
XH -the fuel figs for the Victor & VC10 are within acceptable tolerances-the Tri* figure is a bit off the mark. At 122T ZFW and an almost unachievable MTOW (eg can't do it from BZZ normally) of 245 that gives 123 T.

As for the Voyager the 111T is just about possible but I am not disputing its payload range capability -the argument about consolidation is as above it is a matter of utilization of assets by keeping a usable load airborne in one ac rather than a number having to go home with an unusable offload. As an American speaker at ARSAG said a few years ago-we learnt that lesson.

If you want to talk big payload /range/offload look at the KC10 and don't even get me started on inter-operability between boom/drogue etc I have lost count of the occasions I have heard problems on ops with offload/rx compatibility.As I said above we made our big mistake in the late 70s when a fleet of 10-12 KC10s would have eliminated the need for the VC10K programme, the C-C1K programme and would have given us the chance to scrap the Victor much sooner. Not only that but those ac would still have had plenty of life left and we could have saved the odd 13 Billion.