PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Milan-JFK assault
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2013, 17:07
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Likeitis

I'm not aware of all the US packages but can compare with UK/ Europe and Australia. It's been done to death before and would be worthy of it's own thread to avoid drift. However.......

12 year seniority, 9 as Captain. LTC pay and housing allowance as bought own property. Monthly salary around 70,000 give or take including flight pay. I will not include education allowance as it's free in most countries and standards vary tremendously. As for profit share....... So, 70,000 equates to 840,000 year. Minus 5% for compulsory PF contribution and that's around $215,000. That's net so not sure what US taxes are. For UK that would be 135,000 sterling and to take that home, you'd need to be earning 20,000 sterling a month! Our senior TRE training captains would be 20-30% on top of this. So, with the potential to get command here in 5 years and you're 30-35 in age, I reckon it's a good package with good potential and stand by my above average statement. If you're going to compare with senior captains with other operators, you must factor in time to command.

As for retirement, I place 20% of my salary into the PF and have accumulated a reasonable fund. I anticipate over $1 million after 20 years service. Best of all, it can't be stolen by CEO's of Airlines claiming Chapter 11 then using my retirement fund to re paint the fleet!

Ultimately it's horses for courses. If you can find better, enjoy and good luck to you. EK and Dubai are not for everyone and I do accept that money should not be the overriding factor. It's difficult to put a value on quality of life issues and most of us I'm sure would trade a few thousand dirhams for 10 less hours per month. But, for those that don't mind the rosters and actually like Dubai, it can make for a very comfortable and financially rewarding life.

Harry