PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2013, 06:03
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV880;

I was doing Kennedy turns out of Toronto on the DC9 when fortunate enough to not only walk across the ramp (remember those days?), and be welcomed on board Concorde for a short tour of the aircraft but when our turn to taxi/takeoff came, we were next behind Concorde, on 31. The noise was unearthly; we could not speak to be heard. We sat in our DC9, awestruck at the magnificence that was unfolding before us, two very lucky airmen fortunate to watch this wonderful airplane, the sound of the afterburners "filling the windshield", take off and do the left climbing departure. The silence in the cockpit which followed was momentarily deafening!, the meaning of witnessing this airplane slowly coming into awareness. It was the late 70's and I was a young aviator wet behind the ears just starting with my airline; there was nothing merely 'technical' about what we had heard and felt in the belly - one encounters and sees many things in such a career, but the effect of that moment has never been topped.

Last edited by PJ2; 11th Oct 2013 at 06:05.