PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning/PEXO
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2013, 05:28
H-Dog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neg,

It states in the 727 POH that you round to the nearest 2000KG. I think that the CASA rounding/accuracy limits SOP attempts to reference you to this but it has got the paragraph wrong (Points you to para 9 which is nothing)
I have also confirmed this with Rob and Gary (The bloke in charge of these exams at CASA).
Have subsequently passed this exam using this method. My tip for the exam is to slow down, take your time and know the accuracy limits. I didn't do any extra study for my second attempt I simply slowed down and double checked everything to prevent me from making any stupid mistakes. There's plenty of time if you know the material well.
For info, I did have 1 curly question that I hadn't seen before as follows;
You have just taken off at xxxx BRW and the LG did not retract. You are going to climb to 10000' and dump fuel before descending to land. Your FOB at BRW was yyyyy. What is the ETI between T/O and landing.

I worked it out as follows:
1. Calculate climb time/fuel
2. Calculate descent time/fuel (Landing at 72600KG, MLW)
3. The difference in weight between TOPC and TOPD is the amount of fuel you need to dump/burn (The FOB that it gives you is irrelevant for this question)
4. Calculate EMZW (Half way between TOPC and TOPD weight)
5. Calculate Fuel Flow with LG down at 10k at this EMZW.
6. Convert this FF to KG/min (I.e divide by 60)
7. Add this on to your dump rate (1050 Kg/min)
8. Use this figure to calculate the ETI to dump the fuel.
9. Add all ETIs up

This isn't necessarily an accurate answer (I.e how long does it take you to fly the circuit to land given you allow for approach fuel etc. etc.) but I think it's what CASA is after and as we know it's not about getting the correct answer, it's about getting the answer that CASA got. It's a bit of a joke given that CASA have not provided any guidance for questions like this and there are numerous ways you could work this out.

As mentioned earlier I can recommend the Rob Avery material to study. From what I have seen all of the courses are much of a muchness.

Best of luck all with this one, and may the flight planning gods look favourably upon you when you sit the exam.

Last edited by H-Dog; 11th Oct 2013 at 05:29.