PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: CASA Regulatory Reform
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2013, 00:50
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the briefing at the Dingley International on Wednesday night. It does't appear that CASA have much understanding of how Part 61 will be implemented. For something that has taken so long and is largely a photocopy of how things were in the 70's there are some very big unknown's 2 months out from implementation. I wouldn't like to be Charter operator, part 141 flying school or ATO right now.

One of the big ones is requiring ATO's to organise their own professional indemnity insurance. I know how much mine costs (which is over twice that which my GP wife pays) and I reckon ATO's will be more. Outside the volume markets, PI insurance is very difficult in Australia. I predict quite a few retirements at about Christmas and significant cost increases from those who remain. The Government seems to have learned nothing from when they tried this with doctors about 12 years ago.

I understood that all of the legislative changes have occurred. Its only about operating regulations and implementation now.