PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Engine and Rotor RPM Overspeed(past red line) - Help!
Old 10th Oct 2013, 19:55
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
regarding throttle control, governor:

Due to being rather fat, training in an R22 was never an option for me. So when my buddy and I signed up with the other school near by, I asked if their 300Cs were equipped with governors, "like them nice R22s".
Owner, master FI, head of you name it, looked at me sporting a very evil grin and said "nope. And if they did, I'd take them out myself, as I'll make sure, you guys will learn to control that bugger manually".

Turns out that 300C correlator mechanism only does a mediocre job, and "watch your rpms", "check engine speed", "no, we don't take of doing 2900" were among the most common lines of communication, rounded off by the headmaster's claim he won't need that fancy rpm meter at all as he can tell the engine speed by ear.

Now both me and my buddy are used to keeping the rpms not only in the green but inside specific parts of the green arc at will.

What astonishes me is that initially we'd quite frequently accidentally fly
with 100 rpms past redline for a couple of secs and no one would care, ground it or tear it down. And to me that very FTO is quite meticulous in regard to maintaining their source of revenue.

So why is passing red line in an R22 such an issue?
Is the 320 so much more overrevv sensitive than the 360?