PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He stepped on the Rudder and redefined Va
Old 10th Oct 2013, 18:37
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flarepilot
…also had the even greater pleasure of chatting with WEBB, who wrote, "FLY THE WING" and it is an equally fine book. One part of the book opened a new vista in windshear to me and I sought him out through the publisher.

He called me, chatted for 1 hour on the phone, and told me that I GOT IT! (ref : the art of flying) He then sent me some unpublished short stories which were great and a brand new autographed copy of his latest edition, also echoing the phone call sentiments.
I also had the pleasure of being able to call Jim Webb a good and personal friend of mine for quite some time when he was actively training and checking EAL DC-9 pilots in Miami and in Atlanta. He had a unique ability to be able to tell what a pilot was doing and, from that, developing his own way of dealing with any problems or misconceptions his student was displaying. I lost track of him starting around 1980-1981. Later, I did learn that he had retired from EAL but was not able to find him after that. I too have a signed copy of his “Fly the Wing” – and have very fond memories of evenings in the bar on 36th street – across from the EAL Training Facility in Miami.