PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky + Boeing pitch ‘X-2’-based design for US Army JMR TD effort
Old 10th Oct 2013, 18:25
SansAnhedral

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Still have yet to hear an explanation as to why the fairings never made it on the aircraft from the onset.

1G was a swag number, I was attempting to illustrate any given substantial maneuver on a coax (i.e. not specifically X2 either).

The point remains; what is the effect of maneuver loads and flapping at speed? Sikorsky has been remarkably silent on this point.

I am not sure what you mean by "the math" regarding a GW limit. We are dealing in pure hypotheticals here, unless you want to dive into the strains on specific blade designs, chord loads, tuning profiles for given stiffnesses, t/c etc. Suffice it to say, the idea of rigid rotors has long been abandoned for large rotorcraft for these very reasons.

To demonstrate "the math" would be an exercise in full-on rotor design, hardly what I was trying to do here. Merely an observation that I dont think a large GW ABC coaxial ship is remotely feasible, and its awfully telling that suddenly the S-97 is going to be leveraged by Sikorsky as a demonstrator for an aircraft that seems technically impossible to actually build at the current time.

The term bait-and-switch comes to mind. I am sure that Sikorsky is doing this for one of 3 reasons:
  • Kill FVL entirely
  • Drive the FVL requirements to a much smaller aircraft
  • Drive the FVL requirement to a much lower speed

Last edited by SansAnhedral; 10th Oct 2013 at 18:26.