PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Mosquitoes
Thread: BOAC Mosquitoes
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2013, 16:50
PJakobson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flights to Stockholm

Great to see the photo of a passenger in the bomb-bay of a Mosquito in one11's Jan 2009 posting and your quote on Niels Bohr. My father often talked of this but I could not visualize the difficult conditions!

My father, Captain Evald Jakobson was an Estonian ship's captain and shipowner who began to move to England from 1935 as he could see the danger of Hitler and/or Stalin taking over the Baltic States. He was established in England in 1939 before WWII broke out and worked with the Ministry of War Transport, dealing primarily with the +-20 Estonian ships which were in British territorial waters and could not or would not return to Estonia due to the Russian occupation.

He was flown up to Stockholm in December 1943 in the bomb-bay of a Mosquito, hence my interest in seeing under what conditions! He talked little of what he was doing in Stockholm where he remained till September 1944. With my brother I am researching what EJJ was doing in Stockholm during this time. The official reason on his Swedish visa application was to sort out various outstanding shipping accounts and other shipping issues but this does not seem suffcient reason to keep someone up there for 9 months. His visa was extended several times as he was ' waiting for a seat on the airplane'. My immediate question is how often were these flights scheduled? Is there a record anywhere of this and who the passengers were?

I note a Mosquito was lost in August 1944. He flew back in September 1944...