PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FE(A) IMCr/IR(R) Privileges
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2013, 14:31
BEagle

Received 287 Likes on 114 Posts
Am I right in thinking that IMC/IR(R) training will cease to exist after the 8th April 2014, or are talks still going on between the CAA and EASA?
Talks have been ongoing both with EASA and the EC. Until any further definite announcements are made, do not assume that training for the IR(R) will continue beyond Apr 2014. Regardless of EASA's antics, it would remain possible (but there probably wouldn't be much demand) to train for an IMCr on non-EASA aeroplanes only, to be included in a UK non-JAR/non-EASA PPL.

My next question is that if somebody started their IMC training whilst holding a JAR PPL, but has subsequently already converted to an EASA PPL, then can they still apply for an IR(R) to be added to their licence? I have a chap who just needs to take and pass his IMC written examination.
Yes.

Following on from this...if somebody has just finished their PPL training and has been issued with an EASA PPL, then can they still add an IR(R) onto their licence before the 8th April 2014? I'm guessing that they can't.
Your guess is wrong - they certainly can.

Paragraph three appears to imply that people should be able to train towards an IR(R) up until April 2014. They should be able to add the rating to their EASA licence...I think.
Correct, but they must apply before 8 Apr 2014.

According to AOPA it looks like the IMCr is going to get a 5 year reprieve.
AOPA has made no such official statement. It is understood that certain new proposals may be raised at a forthcoming EC comitology session, but it would be wrong to raise any false hopes as there is no guarantee that a favourable vote will follow. Incidentally, the CAA does not intend to comment on a report posted rather unwisely on another aviation website concerning this proposal, nor to respond to any enquiries on this matter at this point in time.

Last edited by BEagle; 10th Oct 2013 at 14:33.