PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You know you have become a third rate Air Force when....
Old 10th Oct 2013, 08:30
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
8-15

Interesting read, but the first report didn't produce anything startling. It didn't say we were bad, just not as good as they thought we might be - with regard to work place NVQs. Now I don't know and I haven't got the time to research it when work place NVQs were introduced. I'm guessing, from what I have found, it was around the same time or just after IiP came in, which would make it the early 2000s. If that is so, then it is perhaps not surprising that it took a few years to bed in. It would also not be surprising the "leadership and management" weren't very good, faced with any new initiative it takes time for the deliverers of training to be trained in the new initiative - but generally we don't do this!

I thought this bit was brilliant though:

WHAT LEARNERS THINK THE ROYAL AIR FORCE COULD IMPROVE:

the amount of time available on the squadron and during operations by getting rid of the distance learning Didn't we introduce distance learning to stop people from having to attend courses away from home base?

the teaching methods - there are too many computerised presentations and they are boring Wasn't CBT introduced as the future of teaching (and of course reduced the number of instructors you needed)?

the amount of practical experience - reintroduce two-weeks' practical experience on an operational station during phase 2 training Taken as a savings measure?

the time available to work on portfolios after joining operational stations Time management is a skill that needs to be learnt

the recognition of previous qualifications

the quality of the food in the mess at RAF Cosford Welcome to the modern RAF and PAYD

the NVQ system - make it more flexible, there's no time on first-line work Is that within "our" control?

the readability of the paperwork and books for the NVQs

the amount of information about what we will do when we leave RAF Cosford

get rid of key skills, why do we have to do them? because they are key skills?

stop having parades at weekends Welcome to the military

stop treating women better than men Welcome to the modern world of EO - as highlighted in the reports
The Report did make me chuckle when the Adult Learning Inspectorate used "recruit training squadron" several times. I was always taught that proper titles were capitalised as in Recruit Training Squadron - so I guess we aren't all perfect!

Last edited by Roland Pulfrew; 10th Oct 2013 at 09:56. Reason: spolling