PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 little weeks of Sadness..... XV109 today
Old 10th Oct 2013, 07:19
vc10617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nutloose
The reason I said what I did is...We had a C.MK1 in bay 1 Base Hangar 1991. We were (I was BAe then) fixing fuel leaks, The Sqn guys came to get the thing ready for runs. they got power on and started flicking switches etc. There was a panic in the cockpit and one of them, I'd known him in the RAF asked me why they have a fuel leak in the cockpit entrance area. I couldn't believe it. You expect 80 leaks on a VC10 and I could tell you where they'd be without looking. Not here though. I said its the probe plumbing. He looked and some of the others thought I'd gone mad. Its a C.1 It hasn't got a probe. They didn't know anything about C.MK.1 probes, either the original fit or the new build probes you've mentioned. There was a meeting about the lack of anything in any servicing procedures, Vol 1 etc. They weren't serviced or checked, the seals weren't sealing and nobody knew what state the pipe work, bonding etc. was like. I never saw one, I was in Base so its possible that I just didn't see one as I was inside.
The lack of tech support for the probe system and the fact these RAF guys had never heard of C.MK 1 probes lead me to what I'd said.