PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2013, 23:17
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George Dunning, leader of Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, also a DTVA board member, added: “Scaling down the airport may well keep the airport viable and flexible enough to take advantage of any substantial upturn in the commercial flight part of the airport business.
I have read some pretty obscure comments on pprune forums over the years but now frankly I despair !. The idea of viability through limiting services is as zany as any, I would really like to review the financial data / justification. Where on earth did this come from ?
That a reduction of turnover (i.e. services) would lead to an improvement in net revenue, is Peel spin I presume. What it would do is focus the whole viability of DTV on the provision of one critical service to one point, in this case KL.
As such if & when at such point KL eventually give up on DTV then the case for closure would be that much more accademic. This suggests another progressive step towards eventual closure, an event which although detrimental to the region as a whole would not be percieved as such by those at Peel who look towards land development.
This view can also be supported by the reluctance of Peel to allow third party aviation related devopment on the current airport site, presumably as it may in some way get in the way of future plans for the alternate use of the development of the site.
Secondly when I read that those that those local MP's & the like that come out with statements below that are flawed even in basic facts, then it really reflects in reality the limited amount of knowledge & sincerity they actually possess ..
Mr Blenkinsop said: DTVA has one of the longest runways in the nation with a location literally minutes away from the A1 and the A19 and a main line railway running past, it has serious potential for air freight as a way of taking pressure off of airports like Heathrow and Gatwick which should be obvious to anyone.
Nice rhetoric, otherwise a load of c**p!!