PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tall Pilot Problems
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2013, 21:08
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6'6'' is pretty average in all the Dutch airlines I can think of (that'll be KLM these days of course). Cockpits are designed around an "optimum" height pilot who will be able to reach and see all necessary controls and instruments from an "optimum" adjustable seating position and be able to see the runway environment from the "optimum" eye-level datum position etc. however as mentioned by others, modern flightdecks are not particularly limiting for taller pilots. There can be an issue with shorter individuals though.

Despite CTC quoting the Easy and BA limits, the real limitation is more likely to be the training aeroplane itself as Diamond DA20/40/42's (I believe CTC operate Diamonds?) have quite a cramped cockpit with a stick but no longitudinal seat adjustment (the rudder bar is adjustable but through a short range). Piper and Cessna types have horizontally and vertically adjustable seats but a conventional control wheel which long legs and associated knees and thighs obstruct, particularly during cross-wind landings (although the C172 is not too bad). The bottom line is that height should not be a barrier to a flying career but training may be a bit uncomfortable and some types of trainer might not be an option for you. If an airline is stating tolerances as they traditionally have, then of course that could be an obstacle to getting on a mentored or sponsored scheme but not to learning to fly. Look at other options by searching through the Professional Pilot Training or 'Wannabes' forum on this site and you'll find that there are other training providers available who will have experience of teaching taller guys like yourself (as I'm sure CTC do). Good luck!

Last edited by Reverserbucket; 9th Oct 2013 at 21:12.