PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde sim at Brooklands
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2013, 20:38
twochai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concorde sim at Brooklands

I participated in the Brooklands Concorde Experience and I can absolutely recommend it.

The simulator is the unit originally installed at the BAe Filton site, used by BA for Concorde training throughout the life of the program, I believe. It was re-erected at Brooklands a few years ago, without the motion base due to cost and space considerations. The good news is that the machine is now run by a PC, providing good graphics and apparently good control fidelity, along with a wide selection of airports from which to choose.

A friend and I, he a private pilot and me a retired 'has been', were paired up with an ex-BA Concorde Captain with many years of experience. He was a superb instructor and was happy to accommodate my wish list, including: takeoff with engine cut at V1, a three engine approach to Kai Tak and various general handling exercises to try. Very, very interesting and quite challenging. Never having flown a delta wing, I was keen to see the dreaded drag rise with high Alpha, particularly the JFK Rwy 31 takeoff with a noise abatement turn and rolling into the checkerboard final turn at HKG.

A thoroughly worthwhile experience and certainly interesting for any professional or amateur with good technical skills. Experience with steam gauges probably helpful!

Last edited by twochai; 9th Oct 2013 at 20:39.