PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why flight schools fail !
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2001, 00:31
Martin Barnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post why flight schools fail !

As an active surfer of this forum, I feel it is time to add the perspective of a flight training provider. We at BFC take in our stride the informed and uninformed opinions expressed here and thank you for your compliments and are pleased to answer your complaints or observations in the hope that we can improve on the product we offer. I do feel however that wanabes should be aware that there is very little profit to be made in the UK flight training business. The only reason I am in it ,is because I am addicted to Aviation as most of you must be. My instructors who are among the best anywhere are tragically underpaid in comparison to your average Airline Captain ( a job they are all well qualified to do ).

BFC is in sound financial shape due to the fact that we are in many other profitable aviation activities and actually make a profit from flight training, which I think is probably allowed . I suspect the larger training organisations make more money from selling aircraft, props , avionics and engines therefore operating flight training as a marginal profit centre. I calculate if we get everything right the bottom line on flight training is around 7-8% of turnover.
So there you have it! UK flight training is not the rip-off I have heard quoted here many times. The cost of complience with the new JAA standards has been very expensive and in general has been bourne by the flight schools and not the customer. Im sure the recent tragic failures in the industry were in no way premeditated, thousands of UK businesses fail every year in all industries. I offer my heart-felt sympathy to those of you who have lost your hard earned dosh. Please remember Dont pay vast amounts of money up-front, Pay by credit card. But please show up for the training you have booked (or cancel in good time) and pay for the training you have received. Just for the record Multiflight, PAT and Airways Flight Training, are all very good I/R flight schools . so there!

Why is it you never see your crap grammar and spelling until after you have posted!