PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP Ferry flight from USA to UK Questions
Old 18th Mar 2003, 23:01
Doghouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I've done it.

In flying terms it's not too difficult - just boring! From an achievement perspective, it would help if your JAR CPL/IR is born from a fair amount of GA experience. The Oxfordites and Cranfordites would probably struggle with the transit - once you get 3-odd hours outside Newfoundland, you're committed to Narsarsuak, so you need to be able to get in whatever (and I mean whatever - I had fog on an arrival in Greenland but there's no turning back).

There are loads of websites giving you advice. I'm sorry I don't have any addresses but they are out there no problem.

I'd have thought your biggest problem is licensing: you have a JAA CPL/IR and yet I suspect the aircraft will be an N reg. How are you going to make this work? I have made the trip VFR but that was with some pretty creative interpretations of VMC. Don't get caught out trying to make the trip on the wrong licence.

One piece of advice I would give you is don't take the owner unless you've done the trip before. Whilst it does relieve the boredom to take someone with you, the thought of doing the trip for the first time and taking someone with me who had low hours makes the spine tingle. If it's your first time, I would seriously recommend taking someone with you who knows what they're doing. I certainly wouldn't take an inexperienced person on my first trip - even now I'd be doubtful about it. Also, insurance could be a problem.

Have a great flight. I'm off on the same trip in May in an Archer. Please don't take the flight lightly - a friend of mine was killed barely a few months ago in Newfoundland and she had done many ferry flights. The north Atlantic is not the place to be with an inexperienced pilot when you have a problem.

Enjoy